Kia Franklin

Despite Ledbetter law, we’re still screwed

Cross-posted from The Nation:

Screwed by the Fine Print By Kia Franklin February 10, 2009

Despite the new Ledbetter Fair Pay Act, corporations can still get away with employment discrimination and other harmful action through binding mandatory arbitration agreements in which Americans sign away their right to resolve disputes in a court of law. Nestling arbitration clauses in the fine print of credit card agreements, patient consent forms and employment contracts is a deceitful tactic used against an estimated 30 million Americans nationwide. It sends disputes between a person and a corporation to a closed-door, unregulated resolution process hidden from outside view.

Congress and President Obama should provide a much stronger check against corporate power. They can do that by passing The Arbitration Fairness Act (AFA), first introduced in 2007 by Senator Russ Feingold (D-WI) and Representative Hank Johnson (D-GA). (Keep reading)

Kia Franklin: Author Bio | Other Posts
Posted at 4:09 PM, Feb 11, 2009 in Arbitration | Civil Rights | Corporate Abuse | Employment Discrimination | Legislation | Mandatory Arbitration

Comments

Once again the little people getting screwed...Education is the key, I'm a strong, strong believer...I already make occasional bad decisions, I couldn't imagine the types of pitfalls I would find myself in, if I wasn't aware of things like fine print, corp. America, basic legalities, etc.

Posted by: Sean Connor | February 11, 2009 4:44 PM

Holy Cow - you get the stupid piece of legislation passed and still you whine

Posted by: avenger | February 11, 2009 11:28 PM

Yup, that's me, whinin' for justice. I suppose I should just shut up and be happy that some people have civil rights, while under this current arbitration scam, others only have empty meaningless promises. There's no such thing as partial justice, my friend.

Posted by: Kia | February 12, 2009 2:25 PM

Getting the "stupid" piece of legislation passed is meaningless if corporations can simply force employees to sign away the right to meaningly enforce the legislation.

Posted by: Justinian Lane | February 12, 2009 4:19 PM

I agree that there is no such thing as partial justice.That's why I continue to oppose trial lawyer fronts anytime I may see them.

Two wrongs have NEVER made a right and too many times proposed remedies try to write a wrong by simply creating yet another wrong (think "deep pocket defendants)

Posted by: Avenger | February 12, 2009 11:29 PM

correcting the typo:

Two wrongs have NEVER made a right and too many times proposed remedies try to RIGHT a wrong by simply creating yet another wrong (think "deep pocket defendants)

Posted by: Anonymous | February 12, 2009 11:32 PM

Now, lawyer privileged groups may sue decades later. It makes these groups unemployable. Their work is inferior. Hire one, hire a lawsuit.

Naturally, arbitrators are what? Lawyers, charging $800 an hour door to door, for arbitration located in Blutochistan Arabia. Once there, they are totally biased in favor of the lawyer privileged groups, their being rent seeking lawyers. Neat for the lawyers. And who pays for every penny of this lawyer scam? The public in higher prices and less access to innovative products and services.

Posted by: Supremacy Claus | February 20, 2009 6:56 AM