UPDATED: Is WhoCanISue.com a Scam?

Update: Looks like WhoCanISue.com isn’t a scam… just a bad idea.  See the comments below.

The link to the original post quoted doesn’t work so I can’t verify how the original author connected Jorden Burt to the website:

There seems to be quite a bit of accusations by individuals commenting to mine and others posts who have fallen prey to the misinformation by the insurance lobby and Corporate lobby. As a Personal Injury Lawyer, I often cringe at accusations such as ambulance chaser et al and wonder just how misinformed these individuals are. Then today I read Angus Hinson blog entitled “Who Can I Sue?...Reflects Poorly on You” which reinforced my belief that this is purposefully driven device by the insurance and corporate lobbies to purposefully mislead and straight out lie to the public about our profession.

Angus article points out that the homepage of the whocanisue.com has a picture of a businessman slipping on a banana peel. Luckily Angus investigated who was responsible for this reprehensible website and found that it was Jorden Burt, "A Financial Services and Insurance Law Firm"...condemning "unnecessary and frivolous lawsuits." Although I share my disgust with Angus at the site, I am not surprised at who is responsible for it.

So why would an insurance puppet put up such a site. I think its quite simple, its election time and a good time to get headlines for those dishonest politicians seeking so called draconian tort reform.

Source: Who Can I Sue? The Poison Pill of the Tort Reform Lobby | InjuryBoard Oklahoma City

Any TD readers have more info?

Posted at 10:59 AM, Aug 07, 2008 in Civil Justice | Corporate Abuse

Comments

There is more competiton for this company. The domain (web address) WhoCanWeSue.com is available for sale at that address.

Posted by: bill edwards | August 7, 2008 11:14 AM

Perhaps Jeremy Thurman should check on the credibility of his sources.

Posted by: Adam | August 7, 2008 11:23 AM

I dug a little:

I don't see any connection to Jorden Burt at all and plenty of evidence that it's legitimate. Well, maybe not legitimate, but not a scam.

Posted by: Bill Childs | August 7, 2008 11:28 AM

Before I throw rocks at Jeremy, I'd like to see how it was linked to Jorden Burt. Perhaps Burt is funding the guys named in Time? Or perhaps there's no connection... but I'm presuming there has to be at least a tenuous link to the firm.

Posted by: Justinian Lane | August 7, 2008 11:31 AM

Jorden Burt isn't a "he," it's a firm. http://www.jordenburt.com/

The only connection that's there is that a lawyer from Jorden Burt is quoted in the Time piece.

Posted by: Bill Childs | August 7, 2008 11:33 AM

Sorry - I misread your post and thought you referred to Burt as a he -- still, no link to the firm I can find.

Posted by: Bill Childs | August 7, 2008 11:36 AM

Interesting - I found an entirely different registrant than did BC. Follow the link to his site for my update.

Posted by: Justinian Lane | August 7, 2008 11:40 AM

That registrant is another mRevolution entity, as I've noted in the comments to my post.

Posted by: Bill Childs | August 7, 2008 12:09 PM

Jorden Burt LLP is a Miami law firm. Richard Sharpstein is a criminal defense lawyer with the firm, quoted in the Time piece criticizing the website. (You may remember him from the Sean Taylor saga.) Jorden Burt LLP does not have any connection with the creation of this website.

Posted by: Lawyer | August 7, 2008 12:48 PM

Justinian, my original post was made in a password protected area for member firms of injuryboard.com. Perhaps I was unclear. I was pointing out in my post that Time magazine went to a Financial Services and Insurance Law Firm for their quote about whocanisue. Of course that firm is going to talk about "frivolous lawsuits" and clogging up the court system.

Here's my original post to IB members in its entirety.

- Angus Hinson

Wednesday is "Creating Credibility" post day here at the IB Members Area blog, and today I'm going to keep it short but sweet.

You see, I just read an article on the Time Magazine website about WhoCanISue.com, a site launching next month, and I'm a little angry. I don't want to say anything I'll regret while I'm emotional, so I'll just offer offer a link to the article and a couple of excerpts.

As if there weren't enough people out there suing each other, now a Florida attorney has come up with a way to make the process even easier.

Beginning next month, anyone with access to the Internet should be able to log onto WhoCanISue.com. The new website plans to help consumers determine whether they actually have a case and help them find an attorney from a list of lawyers who advertise their expertise on the website.

WhoCanISue? Nice name. Yes. Sounds like you are really out to "help consumers." I mean, look at the picture of the businessman slipping on a banana peel on the current home page of the site!

The proliferation of legal matchmakers like Wolfe leaves some in the profession skeptical. "As if there aren't enough lawyers out there inventing lawsuits, now we're going to invite the public to do so," scoffed prominent Miami trial attorney Richard Sharpstein, a partner at Jorden Burt. "I think this is nothing more than a referral service," he says of WhoCanISue.com. "It encourages, if not creates lawsuits. Our country's courts are clogged with unnecessary and frivolous lawsuits which delay, if not obstruct, the access to courts of people that really need to get there, that have serious legal grievances."

Jorden Burt, ladies and gentlemen: "A Financial Services and Insurance Law Firm"...condemning "unnecessary and frivolous lawsuits."

I write in this space every week trying to help members create credibility. If this doesn't demonstrate the need for change in this industry and the uphill battle we are facing, I don't know what does.

I suggest members blast this site on their blogs - DON'T GIVE THEM ANY CREDIBILITY BY LINKING TO THEM - and blast Time Magazine for not allowing comments on their site while you're at it. You see, not allowing comments prevents you from participating in the conversation.

What do you think about this new site and the image of injury attorneys it projects, members? I'm disgusted.

Posted by: Angus Hinson | August 7, 2008 2:53 PM

Boy, that was terrible reading comprehension.

I can't imagine how to read Hinson's post and think that it said that Jorden Burt was involved in creating the site.

Justinian, I trust you'll update the main post to make clear that there is no evidence at all that the firm is involved.

Posted by: Bill Childs | August 7, 2008 4:12 PM

A pretty dishonest update that doesn't acknowledge the original error or apologize for misleading readers with its sloppiness.

Posted by: Ted | August 8, 2008 3:03 PM

How so, Ted? I specifically stated it wasn't a scam and directed readers to the lengthy comments explaining why.

I have nothing to apologize for as I didn't make the error - the author of the post I quoted did. Take it up with him.

Posted by: Justinian Lane | August 8, 2008 3:15 PM