Judge Jack Weinstein on the FDA

Next time someone asks why FDA preemption is a bad thing, point them to this quote.

“Compared to its peer agencies in other parts of the world, the FDA has arguably failed consumers and physicians by over relying on pharmaceutical companies to provide supporting research for new drug applications; by allowing them, through lax enforcement, to conduct off-label marketing; by acquiescing to industry pressure on drug labels; by not requiring doctors-the main line of defense against misusing prescriptions-to be adequately informed; and by leaving information dispersal and control largely to industry-influenced medical journals and non-governmental associations. The result of such claimed governmental failures arguably causes overuse and overpricing of pharmaceuticals, resulting in mass litigations such as this one for Zyprexa.”

Source: The Blame Game: Zyprexa Judge Blasts The FDA // Pharmalot

Posted at 10:32 AM, Jul 22, 2008 in FDA | Federal Preemption

Comments

The American diabetes association say's a 10X's higher risk from Zyprexa.

At my local clinic the Doctors have stopped prescribing Zyprexa except as a temporary PRN for acute cases only.
WHY? for two reasons:
1) The reason they give it out at all is because it is a fine med where indicated for specific symptoms and does the job very well

2)They stopped it as daily maintenance because they believe in their own hearts that it is the worst offender over the other atypicals AND because their patients refuse to take it on account of all the bad Zyprexa PR

About 30 state attorneys general have subpoenaed documents detailing Lilly's sales practices for Zyprexa as part of a civil investigation under state consumer protection laws
---

Daniel Haszard http://www.zyprexa-victims.com

Posted by: Daniel Haszard | July 22, 2008 1:19 PM

I can't agree more! I am one of the many victims that took Zyprexa in 2001-2002 and was diagnosed with Diabetes in late 2004 after abnormal glucose readings I received while in Medical Asst. training. If I had not been the diagnosis would've been ignored for who knows how long. Looking back now I remember having symptoms as early as mid 2003 but ignored them. I can't help thinking that if I didn't take this drug I wouldn't never gotten it!

Posted by: Diana | July 22, 2008 1:37 PM

Posted by: Diana | July 22, 2008 1:37 PM

"Diabetes medication is a major profit generator for Lilly.Their biggest money maker Zyprexa has been found to increase 'risk' of getting diabetes."

Zyprexa isn't a diabetes medication.

Diane, so you believe that Zyprexa is the sole reason for your Diabetes? Maybe you would have gotten Diabetes anyway.

Posted by: Adam | July 22, 2008 3:15 PM

Althought that may be true, but what if it induced the disease at an accelerated rate? Could I have postponed the disease for 10-15 years or maybe longer if I didn't? Whose to say...it's too coincidental to shrug off. Now the drug companies really got me...I'm paying for the diabetes drugs now am I not?

Posted by: Diana | July 22, 2008 5:28 PM

You sure are paying, Diana. You should contact your preferred presidential candidate and tell them you oppose FDA preemption. If you're really ambitious, also contact your U.S. Representative and Senator. FDA Preemption will take away your right to sue the drug companies if they are responsible for your diabetes.

Posted by: Justinian Lane | July 22, 2008 5:36 PM

I had no knowledge of the FDA Preemption. Will certainly contact my presidential canidate, Senator and U.S.Representative about this issue. And will speak with my attorney regarding this as I was not aware. Thanks!

Posted by: Diana | July 22, 2008 10:18 PM

The American diabetes association say's up to TEN TIMES greater risk of diabetes over a non user group!

How does Zyprexa cause diabetes?

It has been "theorized" that Zyprexa causes diabetes by poisoning the pancreatic beta cells causing them to die off? (if this is true then it's really scary stuff)

On July 1, 2002, Duke University issued a Press Release about the most recent finding that links the new anti-psychotics to early onset diabetes. The team of researchers--Elizabeth A. Koller, M.D. from the FDA, and Murali Doraiswamy, M.D. from Duke-- analyzed FDA's adverse drug report database, MedWatch (which receives 10% of adverse drug reports). They identified 289 cases of diabetes in patients who had been prescribed olanzapine (a.k.a. Zyprexa), Eli Lilly's most profitable drug.

The researchers reported: "Of the 289 cases of diabetes linked to the use of olanzapine, 225 were newly diagnosed cases. One hundred patients developed ketosis (a serious complication of diabetes), and 22 people developed pancreatitis, or inflammation of the pancreas, which is a life-threatening condition. There were 23 deaths, including that of a 15-year-old adolescent who died of necrotizing pancreatitis, a condition where the pancreas breaks down and dies. Most cases (71 percent) occurred within six months of starting the drug and many cases were associated with moderate weight gain."

Posted by: Zyprexa kills | August 3, 2008 3:46 AM