Class Action Win for Workers Deprived of Breaks/Mealtime
LOS ANGELES - The Chinese Daily News must pay $5.19 million to 200 workers who claimed they were forced to work 12-hour days without overtime or lunch breaks, a judge ruled.
U.S. District Judge Consuelo B. Marshall on Thursday added penalties and interest to the $2.5 million that a federal jury last year initially awarded as compensation for unpaid overtime, meal and rest breaks.
"This ruling is significant in that it tells employers that they cannot take advantage of immigrant and non-English speaking workers," said a statement from Cornelia Dai, an attorney for the workers.
All of the $5.19 million will go to the workers, and the judge will set legal fees later, another attorney for the workers, Randy Renick, said Friday. (Read full article here)
For the procedural history of this case, the Wage Law blog has a good post.