Sprint: "It’s our policy" to break the law

Every now and again, I get a reminder of why I want to be a plaintiff's lawyer.  This morning, my mother called to let me know she's canceling our Sprint cell phone plan.  We're on a family plan with 4 lines.  We've been customers for a little over seven years, and have never had any disputes or late payments.  But last month, my parents happened to look through their Sprint bill and discovered something interesting.  For the last 3 and a half years, Sprint has been charging us about $6 bucks a month in Texas state and local taxes.  The problem is that none of us have lived in Texas for 3 and a half years... and Sprint has also been charging Nevada state and and local taxes.  Obviously, that's about $250.00 that we shouldn't have paid Sprint.

Needless to say, we disputed that with Sprint and asked for a credit.  It's taken about a week of telephone tag, but we finally heard back from Sprint.  They're only willing to refund the past three month's worth of illegal taxes because it took so long for my parents to discover their error.  That's just "their policy."

Why is it that it's OK for a big corporation to have a policy of ripping off consumers, but it's horrible for consumers to rip off big corporations?  What do you think would happen if we underpaid Sprint $6 bucks a month for three years, and when caught told Sprint that we'd only refund them three month's worth because it took them so long to catch our error?  I imagine they'd use the oppressive credit reporting system to blackmail us into paying.

The odds are that this will probably end up in court because Sprint plans on charging $800 in early cancellation fees, when they clearly breached their contract.  Let's be honest - it will be ridiculous to go to court over this.  But what's the alternative?  Letting Sprint overcharge us because it's too costly to go to court?  To hell with that.  I once spent $160 in filing costs over an $18 overcharge that a notoriously corrupt company refused to correct for me.  It took three months, but they settled and gave me my $18 and my filing costs.  Again, a ridiculous lawsuit.  But I'll be damned if I was going to let someone steal twenty bucks for me.

I was fortunate enough to be able to file that suit myself.  And my family is fortunate enough that my father is an attorney, so he'll be able to handle any legal matters himself.  But the millions of consumers out there who get ripped off and aren't attorneys don't fare as well.  No lawyer will touch cases like these on a contingency basis because the dollar amount is so small, and no rational consumer will spend $1,500+ to hire an attorney to recover my $20 or my parents' $250.

Meanwhile, as consumers across the country are ripped off to the tune of millions - perhaps even billions - of dollars a year, corporate America has convinced us that "frivolous lawsuits" are a drain on the economy and that we need to make it harder to sue them.  Too bad no one wants to make it harder for corporations to rip us off, eh?

Posted at 12:37 PM, Jan 25, 2008 in Consumer Rights

Comments

J: Did you have Contracts, yet? If you did, can you think of any remedy that does not involve wasting the time of the court, and the money of the taxpayer, to carry out your left wing vengeance, corporation scapegoating agenda?

I have Sprint. Every penny for the defense of your trivial claim comes from me and other customers.

Posted by: Supremacy Claus | January 25, 2008 3:36 PM

SC: Imagine being mugged (I hope you can only imagine this), that some criminal smacked you and then took $250 from your wallet. Then imagine you go to the police and they say they don't want to "waste the time of the court, and the money of the taxpayer, to carry out your agenda of vengeance" against your mugger. That don't make no darn sense and you and I both know it. Why should it be any different for the corporate criminal who conducts its muggings on paper?

Posted by: Kia | January 25, 2008 6:11 PM

I understand the emotion. The challenge differs from an appeal to pathos.

Legal writing is "authoritative writing." The meaning of that phrase is that it uses statute, case law, and policy considerations to give a judge no choice but to agree with your side. You could make your argument, and use the word, darn, to a judge. There is some chance she would find it persuasive.

Posted by: Supremacy Claus | January 25, 2008 7:05 PM

A quick question....how are you going to get around the binding arbitration? I had a similar issue, but was afraid of running into that quagmire.

Posted by: LorneReams | January 28, 2008 12:15 PM

The taxes Sprint billed for aren't merely a disagreeable contract fee or clause but a violation of law since they cannot legally bill for said taxes. It strikes me as a simple claim that, by collecting said taxes in violation of law, Sprint breached any contract that existed between the parties. No contract - no termination fees - no binding arbitration. Also Sprint MUST return the illegally collected taxes.

Posted by: Bob Cobb | January 28, 2008 12:42 PM

I'm having the exact same problem with ATT. They charged me Washington state taxes for 2 years after I moved to Oregon (which has no sales tax). They say they won't refund any of the charges. I have the added wrinkle that I received an employee discount on my cell phone bill as the employee of a Washington organization. When we moved, we asked ATT if we could still receive the discount, as my husband was still an employee there via telecommuting. They said no problem. Now they claim my husband needed to be the primary account holder, so we 'technically' shouldn't have gotten the discount. The customer service reps say the discount 'takes care of' the wrongly charged taxes. I'm so mad about this all and I have no idea what to do about it. Do you have any recommendations?

Posted by: Amanda Stanley | January 28, 2008 1:34 PM

God bless you for having the intestinal fortitude to go after these crooks. I too took Sprint to court over thier theft practices. I got a call from an Attorney from Sprint the day prior to going to court. She offered to settle but also reminded me that they were under no obligation to provide me cell phone service.

The threat had far more teeth than it would today due to number portability. I took the hint and discontinued my service.

Posted by: Robert | January 28, 2008 2:31 PM

"left wing vengeance (sic)"? Please. What is the role of the courts if they are not there to be used? I am also a Sprint customer; please sue the crap out of them.

Posted by: M Latta | January 28, 2008 3:14 PM

Idea for Sprint and Supremacy Claus:

How about not charging illegal fees in the first place, or, when confronted when charging said fees, refund them?

I'm pretty sure that's a foolproof way to avoid 'frivolous' lawsuits and ensure that every penny of Supremacy Claus' monthly payment wind up in the pockets of Sprint and not in the hands of some defense attorney who lost an unwinnable case.

I don't know, I might be way off base here, but if I were a Sprint customer like Supremacy Claus, I'd actually be somewhat furious my bill included money for pointless lawsuits essentially spawned by my cell phone provider's inability to comply with the tax code.

Or I guess you could just blame the victim, if you wanted to be a real asshat.

Posted by: C Macaulay | January 28, 2008 7:01 PM

Hi guys!

Supremacy Clause: Since you're a Sprint customer, why don't you call and demand that they stop charging illegal taxes so they don't have to pay legal fees? Let me pose a hypothetical to you. What would you do if Sprint charged you $1,000 in taxes you weren't obligated to pay and refused to remove the charges? Would you pay it? If you don't pay it, they'll cancel your account and screw your credit. Would you let that happen?

I've talked more with Sprint and they're now willing to credit an additional $50 to the account, and have suggested we try and collect the difference from the State of Texas. Since it was their error, it doesn't seem quite fair for us to have to spend time and money to fix it, does it?

This whole saga shows how important customers are to Sprint. Again, we've had four lines for close to eight years, and have never missed a payment or disputed a charge. We're the epitome of "good customers." I shudder to think how they treat average customers.

Posted by: Justinian Lane | January 30, 2008 11:18 AM

Justinian: Very good. That is the correct answer in real life.

You "talked" to Sprint. You did not "sue" Sprint, wasting the time of the Court, which is also on my tab.

I see no reason on earth why you have to get the refund from Texas. You paid it to Sprint. That idea is wrong. If they insist, tell them, gladly. For a consulting fee for acting as their agent, at $500 an hour, in a contract implied in law.

Also, tell them they need to make it up to you, or you are Sprinting to ATT at the end of contract. You deserve compensation for your trouble, generated by their mistake. As a wronged customer, I think you deserve that, even though I have to pay for it.

Then, get the accord and satisfaction in a writing, so it cannot be denied. I will not suggest a review of the parol evidence rule, since that is a crime itself.

Posted by: Supremacy Claus | January 30, 2008 1:52 PM

I had the same probelm with sprint. Today I looked at my sprint bill and noticed Texas state charges. I have never lived in Texas before. They have been charging me since August. Cusotme service told me they were creating a case to have this corrected.

Posted by: Scott | February 14, 2008 4:42 PM

I am a sprint customer and I am surfing the net tonight and came across this article and found it humorous. I as a credit card customer, cell phone customer etc check my bill each month. Any disputes with any company are called in in a timely manner. I think I would side with sprint on this one. Seems someone was not paying attention to his bill. I have found errors on credit card billings, my at&t phone acct and even the power bill. I call in within 30 days and get corrected. This would be my advice. Read the bill and dispute asap.

Posted by: Ralph | February 19, 2008 12:35 AM

I used to love sprint I don't know what happened to them. Ive been trying to get a phone I ordered from them for two weeks now that was suppose to be here in two days...
I actually bought a domain http://sprintpolicy.info the other night simply because I got fed up with the run around and the BS I was being fed.

Http://sprintpolicy.info

Posted by: Cristina Rush | February 21, 2008 10:26 AM

sprint charges me sales tax for austin,tx and houston,tx. the account and account billing are in austin. is this legal?

Posted by: craig mcallister | February 22, 2008 12:48 AM

Do I have any legal recourse against Sprint on this: I called three times over the past several months to find out when my contract expires to I could go to Verizon. On February 4, I was told by a custmer service agent over the phone that my plan had expired last month (January 08). That night we went to a Verizon store and got new phones and a new plan and Sprint just sent me a bill for $400 in early termination fees. When I called they apologized for their customer service agent telling me the wrong date and I actually have another year on my contract. I argued and talked to their supervisors for hours over the phone, but they said it is up to the customer to know exactly when their contract expires and that they sent me a letter a year ago with that information. I told them that was probably true, but what good is their customer service department, if they give out erroneous information. I refuse to pay the $400 on principal, but don't want to ruin my credit. Can I take them to small claims court?

Posted by: Kathy DuBray | February 23, 2008 1:28 PM

I can't believe I've found this site.

The first part of this year, I discovered that Sprint has been collecting Maryland State Taxes for the last 2 years. I've lived at my billing address for 19 years. I created a .pdf file with a copy of page 4 for each of the 24 months they withheld and an excel summary spreadsheet...total was $388.00. Upon calling Sprint they advised they'd credit for three months but that was it. They also accused me of having a Maryland address at one point and when I argued the point the individual hung up on me. Upon calling back, they begrudgingly opened a call ticket and said they'd 'get back to me'. After 6 weeks, there answer was for me to "call the FEDERAL Government". I offered to provide my documentation but they wanted no part of it. Once again, when I argued the point, they hung up the phone. To add insult to injury, they didn't even credit me the full amount of withheld taxes for the 3 months they agreed to. It was roughly half the amount.

I still have a year on my contract...is there ANY way I can get out of it and get away from this miserable company?

Thanks for any suggestions.

GB

Posted by: GB | February 26, 2008 10:47 AM

I can't believe I've found this site.

Thanks for any suggestions.

GB

Posted by: GB | February 26, 2008 10:49 AM

I can't believe I've found this site.

Thanks for any suggestions.

GB

Posted by: GB | February 26, 2008 10:49 AM

I can't believe I've found this site.

Thanks for any suggestions.

GB

Posted by: GB | February 26, 2008 10:49 AM

I can't believe I've found this site.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Glen

Posted by: Glen | February 26, 2008 10:52 AM

I can't believe I've found this site.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Glen

Posted by: Glen | February 26, 2008 10:53 AM

I apologize for the multiple posts, but I kept receiving an error message advising to re-input the data.

GB

Posted by: Glen | February 26, 2008 11:50 AM

This is for Kathy DuBray...the exact same thing has happened to myself with the addition that they also added a third line to my two lines that I did not ask for or need. They are now saying that my contract didn't end when they initially told me it ended and are refusing to even talk to me on the phone. I wrote the corporate office but without proof of my contract end date..."they can't help me" I have called and asked sprint to send me a copy of my contract beginning and end dates but they act "stupid" as if I am speaking another language. If anyone has any advice on how to handle this matter please let me know. My account is now $559 which I do not have and refuse to pay since I do not owe this. Gotta love Sprint!

Posted by: lshoemaker | March 3, 2008 2:53 PM

I Have also been ripped off by sprint we have 5 lines and they say we are always over our minites and I only use my phone for emergecies. I know they are full of it!

Posted by: marilyn | March 8, 2008 1:32 PM

I paid my sprint bill monday feb. 4 2008 by phone the customer service rep. stated when she answered the phone her name and that she was in topeka kansas. the next day my bank call to inform me that there was some suspicious activity on my business account ( check card used to pay sprint) it turns out that most of my money was wiped out at different stores in topeka kansas. this is in no way a coincedene. this sprint rep. stole my info and she got her friends to help her by using my number at the stores where they worked. i am following up with the stores and the police dept in kansas and here in portsmouth virginia where i live. then i will find a way to sue because it is not right. if any one else has been through this please email or call me at 757-582-5290 ellen

Posted by: ellentomiye | March 8, 2008 9:51 PM

I have been a sprint customer for 3 1/2 years and they have been horrible to sayy the least. I am go to take them to court on so slimely practices, but I am looking to join a class action suit as well. Does anyone know where I can go?
Valerie Hetzel

Posted by: Valerie | March 22, 2008 11:30 AM

I have had trouble with Sprint since I became a customer in August of 07. I was also charged Texas taxes, how inconvenient for me. I have tried to get my contract fees waved so I can discontinue my service or hell with them. Each and every month I am on the phone or in the Sprint store trying to get my bill rectifed. Once again they will not wave the fees, so at this point I am stuck and for all of you people who love sprint would call it having a binding contract. Just wait your time is coming and when it does, don't look for sympathy from me. It is a pain in my ... to try to convince someone that I don't live in Texas and my name is not Havier. Maybe if all of the unhappy customers would ban together we could get something accomplished. I would be on cloud nine if sprint wanted me to leave as a customer because I don't want anything free from them, just let me loose from their grips.

Posted by: Lori | May 1, 2008 2:46 PM

I've been a Sprint customer for 3.5 years and had my share of trouble with them. They duped my wife into signing off on another 2 year contract when she added a phone for my daughter. She swears that nobody asked her permission to extend the contract - and I believe her. Can anybody give me information for the class action lawsuit enjoined in Illinois on Feb 7 2008 seeking damages for this kind of behavior?
Heads up. Sprint recently started charging me 10 cents per minute for local calls (in violation of my flat rate unlimited calling plan) . . and that's in addition to the flat rate that they're still cahrging me. I am in the process of contesting this affront via Sprint (S/B interesting). Additionally, I have my fair share of telemarketers call my business cell under the phone ID "unavailable" . . and which I never answer (for obvious reasons). I noticed that Sprint is binging me for some pretty hefty coinage for these phone calls that I never answer . . one which supposedly lasted 42 minutes. But another example of the chicanery that Sprint undertakes at your expense.Consumer beware. Sprint is a white collar criminal on a national scale - and I highly recommend that you read your bills thoroughly every month. Be prepared to contest them too . . . with Sprint, thru the state AG (if you're lucky enough to live in a progressive state that will actually prosecute)or class action civil suit - won't make much probably. Maybe they'll stop these criminal practices. :) Thanks for any information on the lawsuit.

Posted by: chet | June 3, 2008 2:06 AM

Just reviewed my bill thoroughly because we had added texting for my son's line and wanted to see what he owed for that. Came across the line items for taxes and found that for three bills now, we have been charged for Texas, California, and a couple counties and cities I've never heard of! Total is only about $3.50 per month but where the heck did they come from, since we live in Maryland - and never in those other places? Interesting that this started since some of your other postings - so much for them 'being aware of the problem.' I think this one gets forwarded to the FCC regardless of how Sprint eventually resolves it for us.

Posted by: Carolyn | June 20, 2008 10:55 AM

They charged me over 300 dollars for calling to the sprint.
I put my plan on vacation phone plan, but the guy didn't tell me exact time about vacation plan. then he said, I need to call sprint to put my phone on vacation plan, so I did it, I asked them whether calling sprint is free or not. They told me calling to sprint is free. so I did. About a month later I got payment which was over 300 dollars. I used phone for a day!! exactly A DAY! They have never sent me my details of bill. they just told me how much I have to pay. So there were no way that I could have check any of tax fee or else. I spent over a month to cancel my plan, and put my phone on vacation plan. I can't cancel my plan, because of that stupid contract! Haha so please don't use sprint.

Posted by: hae | July 1, 2008 10:52 PM

SPRINT IS THE WORST CELL PHONE CARRIER. I AM IN A NIGHTMARISH CONFRONTATION WITH THEM. I CANCELLED SERVICE AND RETURNED THE FAULTY SAMSUNG INSTINCT ON JULY 3, 2008. AND NOW THEY CLAIM THAT I NEVER CANCELLED SERVICE. ALREADY FILED COMPLAINTS WITH THE FCC AND BBB. NEXT IS A LAWSUIT. DO NOT SIGN UP WITH SPRINT!!! YOU WILL REGRET IT.

Posted by: Daniel | August 12, 2008 4:31 AM

Posted by: Daniel | August 12, 2008 4:33 AM

I am having the same problem. I have signed up with them 2 years ago. I had added one line to it a year later.
Now, they are telling me you are in the contract for one more year, because you have up graded your plan which is not
true. I was told by their customer service you just add one line to the primary line, and I could cancel at any time.
I do not want to pay the cancellation fee, can I dispute the charge. Will that damage my credit?

Posted by: Mariam Pasha | August 22, 2008 12:24 PM

Posted by: Mariam Pasha | August 22, 2008 12:28 PM

Sprint is terrible to deal with. I had a discount of 18% based on my employer for my first several years with sprint. All of a sudden, it was changed to 5%. When I called to ask why it changed, they told me that the federal government no longer allows discounts of more than 5%. Then they told me I could renew for 2 years, they would give me $50 for each line and my family of four could each get a free new phone. I later found out it was all outright lies. When I demanded they let me out of my contract without any penalty for changing my contract without permission and lying to me, they refused. The fee for canceling is $250 per line. I am going to do what I have to do. I'll start with the state's attorneys office and the BBB and go from there. I can't take there horrible business practices any longer.

Posted by: maria | August 22, 2008 3:29 PM

Yes, Sprint has it's customers "over a barrel" ... and they sure stick it to us hard!

I too, added a service in May 2008. Had been a customer with Sprint for 4 yrs with no problems (maybe I wasn't looking at my bill close enough to discover any problems,however!) All of a sudden, since adding unlimited text messages for $20 for all 3 lines in May 2008, I have been triple charged and double charged for plans I did not request.

A $300 bill in June, a $200 bill in July, when every month I should be paying $95 plus taxes. Every month, it takes almost one hour to get the bill down to a NEAR correct amount, as I go through employees who don't give a cr@p about me or my bill. They double talk, and I end up still paying more than my $95 plus taxes, just to keep my account current and my credit clean !!!!!! They swear the problem is "now fixed", yet every month I get another incorrect bill. I just got my August bill. Still wrong, at $151.

I called to get the highest supervisor I could get. They opened a "case file" for me, and had their customer service dept call me today (8/26/08). I asked to get out of my contract, since they haven't upheld their side of the contract since May 2008, why should I be held to upholding the $200 early termination fee portion of the contract ... why am i held to a contract that SPRINT CANNOT UPHOLD !!!!

After one hour, with Mr. I-Don't-Give-A-Cr@p telling me that my "bills ARE corrected every month for me, so what's my beef?" I saw that we were at a stale mate. I would not be getting my early termination fees waived, and I therefore would NOT be getting out of this Sprint contract early !!!!

As I too threatened a LAW SUIT (PLEASE Mr. Justinian Lane, couldn't your dad help me out too???) Sprint's wonderful customer service person calmly stated, "that's your prerogative". I chuckled and asked, "Why does your company care so little about it's customers?" They couldn't even throw me a discount, a pat on the back, they couldn't offer a "we're sorry for monthly inconveniences", they couldn't even offer me a lollipop for my time as other smaller companies do !!!! No, the statement "We've corrected your bill each time you've called in" was Mr. Wonderful's public relation response to my complaints !!!! And this is the TOP DOG of Customer Relations at SPRINT.

I DESPISE SPRINT now, who are bullies and thieves and I will continue to leave my story at every possible place that I can, and I will be looking into a lawsuit.

Should I decide to breach my contract with Sprint, or decide to stop paying their over-charges, I will be held responsible. My credit will be ruined. Collection Agents will harass me. Yet they are allowed to bully me, take my money unfairly, take over-charges from me, and they are allowed to keep me in this state of 'picking my pocket' for the next two years, as I am STUCK in their CONTRACT !!!!!

Don't be mad at us hard-working customers, you lovers of Sprint, who yell, "It's the customers who end up paying for the lawsuits". Yell at SPRINT and demand fairness, ethics, and honesty, and a pro-customer service department.

SPRINT SUCKS !!!!!!!!

Posted by: Lee | August 26, 2008 10:09 PM

We have had sprint for a number of years. We are now on a month to month contract for 2 phones, but had added an additional phone for our son for $10/month during the year. The Service on the on the 2 phones is crap, probably it’s the actual phone, not the service. We talked to a representative for over an hour wanting to get 2 new phones and also include the 3 phone on a renewal contract. We would only accept a new contract if the new phones actually improved the service. (The phone drops the call; my wife has to go outside to get a signal.) Customer service said no. I then told them we will not pay a cancellation fee on the 3rd phone which does not coincide with the month to month contract to cancel all service. I contend the additional 3rd phone on the “family plan” is part of the original contract. It is ridiculous Sprint would not want to keep a good customer. All we wanted was to have 3 phones that work, not one. I contend a contract has binding terms, I pay consideration (money) Sprint provides performance (Service) otherwise there is a breach of contract when one of the parties fails to fulfill to contract. Therefore Sprint has breached the contract!!

Posted by: mark | September 9, 2008 8:59 PM

I move just a few miles and the sprint map says I have "Good" coverage. I can't make or get a call in my home or anyhwhere near my home in several areas. They refuse to do anything but promise trouble calls, free booster, someone to call me back. Nothing has been done. Last call they told me that everything they promised was canceled. I have 3 phones (two are for the family tracker) and was my reason for going with sprint. They won't let me out without paying the $600 fee. I'm being robbed every month by them. I'm in Race City USA where all of the NASCAR SPRINT Teams are located. I have asked them to do the right thing. In their eyes they have. I pay and pay and pay for no serivce.

Posted by: Dan | December 18, 2008 10:47 PM

Please can someone try to tell me why do I have pay Sprint twice on the first billing period aside from the activation fee. I've numerously spoke to different representatives- one rep rudely hanged up the phone on me. The only justification they have is -you get billed twice on the first month...It doesn't make sense at all to me- can anyone explain if I'm crazy or Sprint is really scamming?

Posted by: jay | February 12, 2009 11:15 PM

I got billed twice on the first month in addition to the activation fee. They said this is the Sprint policy which was written in the contract. I have the contract, it only states Full-month charges in advance, it didn't mention about paying twice on the first bill. I don't get it at all..Can someone please explain?! or am I a victim of another Sprint scam? Anyone have this type of issue?

Posted by: Anonymous | February 12, 2009 11:20 PM

Interesting Google hit. I'm currently starting a file with the Attorney General of my state for taxes owed by Sprint to Washington state for a little under a year now. I've found out that Sprint renews my contract with any change to my account, and also that, despite changing my address and phone number, they are still charging me taxes in Texas, which I can no longer vote for. I tried to send a quick summary to five newspapers, but none have published. With all the hype about taxes, why isn't anyone paying any attention to this stuff? I'm being forced to break the law, and being taxed without representation. Is there no justice in this country?

Posted by: BE | February 27, 2009 6:23 PM

I just finally gave in and accepted paying $400 in EFT's, and then I see state and local "telephone sales" and "utility tax" surcharges on the $400 that total an additional $50.

I spoke to customer service at Sprint and inquired about the "utility" taxes on a penalty fee. They replied that they have the right in AZ to apply those taxes. When I said that I plan to take them to small claims court, the service rep replied, "We look forward to it." Thus they closed a four year customer service relationship.

Question - can they apply a utility tax to a penalty fee?

Promise - I am taking them to court, especially after reading about the person in MA who won a default judgement because Sprint was a no show.

Good luck all and let's take 'em down!

Posted by: JG | April 1, 2009 5:20 PM

To those of you wondering why they'd rather risk lawsuits instead of just doing business properly and ethically, it's basic statistics. They know that the majority of people will either just bite the bullet and pay, or they will get upset enough to pay the termination fee and will just leave, possibly sharing their experience with others, then again, maybe not. Some people will threaten to sue, but out of those, only a small handful actually will. So out of all the people they screw over, only a very small percentage will follow through on a lawsuit. Sprint knows this and hedges their bets based on it, figuring they'll make more money overall than they will lose from the occasional lawsuit. This is how all companies operate, except the rare good one, which these days is becoming more and more like a mythological entity than an actuality.

The recent mergers in the cellular market aren't helping matters any, either. In my opinion, they never should have been allowed. All that's been accomplished is to reduce the competition and give them even less incentive to treat their customers fairly and even politely, as well as to ensure they're providing their customers with the coverage, services, and products they expect and deserve. As much as I hate to say it after reading all the anecdotes on this site, I'm actually about to switch to Sprint from Verizon, due to the way I've been treated there. I'm paying the early termination fee and running as fast as I can. I may be going to another lousy company, but at least I'll be paying significantly less per month to put up with their crap, and who knows, maybe I'll get lucky. Not to mention their coverage is better. My point is, though, due to the elimination of competition and the fact they know most consumers don't have the time and/or resources to fight back, it's unfortunately reached the point that no matter where you go, you have a good chance of having serious customer relations issues. While I understand peoples' frustration and anger with Sprint over these issues, I would just like to point out that it's probably not going to do much good complaining about and even occasionally suing them. This problem, which permeates the entire cellular industry as well as every other market sector, needs to be attacked at the source. Companies need to be reminded that the customer is (almost) always right, and that it's the customers that keep the companies in business. And we need to stop eliminating competition every chance we get.

A big problem is people keep giving their business to a company even after it screws them over, and the companies know this. Most people are not very steadfast when it comes to boycotting. They go right back for a good deal or because it's a little easier. I for one haven't bought anything from Amazon in two years due to an issue with them committing fraud, and I plan to continue taking my business elsewhere (which, as it turns out, is cheaper more often than not). Unfortunately, this isn't usually much of an option when it comes to cell companies, since, as I stated, the mergers have greatly reduced consumers' options.

Just remember, as the consumer, when a company rips you off, you do have recourse. While not always effective, it can sometimes be of tremendous help to report to various authorities. Tell the company you intend to do so (of course they won't believe you and therefore won't change their attitude), then, and here's the important part, follow through. File a complaint with the BBB, negatively review them online, report them to your state's Attorney General if you feel it prudent to do so, and in the case of cell company, report them to the FCC. If even 25-50% of those afflicted by these companies' poor business ethics do these things, perhaps patterns will begin to emerge and consumers, AG offices, and regulatory commissions such as the FCC will take note.

I'm against frivolous lawsuits, but I think some people need to clarify with themselves what exactly constitutes a frivolous lawsuit. If the company has wronged you in a clearly illegal way, then by all rights you should sue them, or at the very least see if the AG will pursue the issue for you. Kia's analogy in the second post is exactly right. Why should their criminal dealings be handled any differently than somebody who robs you on the street? Considering what they're doing involves improper taxation, it seems to me it might even constitute tax fraud, and maybe should be reported to the IRS as well. That said, it is usually the policy of every company, including banks, that any discrepancy needs to be disputed within a reasonable time frame, usually 1-3 months. I'm not saying it's right or that they shouldn't still try to make things right with the customer. A good company should and probably would. It is, however, a standard policy and therefore unless you can get them on some form of tax fraud you probably have no legal recourse. Considering your dad is a lawyer, and you haven't updated on this situation for quite a while, I'm guessing you've realized this. However, if I'm wrong, and if you did indeed pursue legal action, I would be very curious to know the results.

Posted by: SJ | October 23, 2009 7:06 PM

i have been billed twice in one month sprint calls it billing one month in advance they say its a 24 month contract but your paying for 25months does it make sense?

Posted by: mike | November 21, 2009 3:06 AM

I am having a hard time with sprint, I love to be part of a law suit because I don't want to do it alone. I have been a customer since 2003, on 2008 I bought a new phone and down grader my service. On 2009 cancelled contract. Now I have a $222 and some change for early termination fees. A bill that is going to collection and harrassment phone calls since Christmas. I would pay it to stop the agravation, but now, it's personal. How can they treat a long time customer like that and give you a million resons why they are charging the fee. Any help? I complained to the Better Business Bureau but nothing it's happening. It's any body doing something? can I join?

Posted by: Claudia | January 25, 2010 4:30 PM

I love to be part of a law suit too, please lets do something!

Posted by: Jorge | March 5, 2010 10:39 AM

hey i have a question. If im not a primary account holder. can sprint go after me for any uncollected funds or un paid termination fees if im just added on to the plan?

Posted by: James | May 17, 2010 10:04 AM

I love all the objections. They aren't based on much logic although they seem to make sense. I say make it a class suit. Run a campaign and see if there are others who fall into the same situation. Add them all together and attack Sprint with a media based run that brings light to what's going on with your bill. I bet more people jump on board and you really won't have to worry about jurisdiction problems. Sprint will settle quickly, explain to the public it was an oversight and the vicious cycle will start all over again. Because you'll never put an end to these kinds of practices. You only stifle them when you make it public and give the company a black eye.

Posted by: Michael Allen | May 24, 2010 12:54 PM

look under statue of fraud right sprint. restatment II. also
federal collection act. they cant sneak little charges even if the notify u. it has to be simple and CLEAR.

STATUE OF FRAUD RIGHT SPRINT